Saturday, February 3, 2024

Still Cold! Two New Projects & Bramble Blooms


The cold weather is still with us. We are keeping both wood stoves going 24/7. We are getting more daylight so that is encouraging. The weather forecasters continue to tell us that a warming trend is coming, just not here yet. Hopefully soon! I hope you will read to the end, we had some visitors!


This was taken Friday morning about 8 am, -54 to -55


 Now onto to quilting. Have you ever seen a fabric or fabric collection and you immediately you think of someone that it fits perfectly? That has happened to me a few times, one example pictured below, was a quilt I made for a granddaughter last Christmas. She LOVES octupusses! When I saw the Kaffe Fassett octopus fabric I said Ashlee.


This is a throw size quilt and she loved it. Minky on the back!

When I saw this layer cake of Tradewinds by Renee Nannemann, my sister's name popped in my head. It was a Missouri Star daily deal so I ordered it immediately. There are only two aqua/turquoise fabrics included in the collection so I did order some different aqua fabric to add to it, plus for the quilt I have in mind I needed background fabric, sashing and etc., those are order too.





This is the pattern I plan to use. It is called Bouquet, by Sherri McConnell. The quilt in the pattern is a throw size 5 blocks X 5 blocks, mine will be larger 8 blocks X 9 blocks. The blocks finish at 9".



First hexie prepped and ready to stitch together. 

The fabrics in the corner and the fabric on top are possible block corners and sashing. My sister likes neutrals, but these might be too dark, I will have to wait until I get a few more hexie blocks made.

More hexies cut out to baste and sew for Slow Stitching Sunday with Kathy, HERE



I am fussy cutting the floral fabric for the center hexies.



I also joined Taryn's Tiny Nine-Patch Challenge. I am doing the 3" size. That is small enough for me!

30 blocks done



More little squares ready to sew. I am using up some my older Civil War fabrics and scraps.



Finally this is where I am on Bramble Blooms. I had to un-stitch the red half flowers, they were too large, so I need to re-stitch them. I also will add 2 more gold triangles. I still am not sure where I will place the word Faith, this is one idea.



So I happened to look out the window and saw this moose.




Then a minute or so later while I was taking her photo another one came around the side of the house, her calf from last year. So I kept taking photos.




Then another one came around the side of the house! She had had twins and they both survived! We see tracks on the snow all the time, but this is the first time I was able to get photos.


Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear from you! Happy quilting, Rebecca












9 comments:

  1. It is definitely too cold in your neck of the woods! We finally had a day of sunshine after about three weeks of gray and gloom. Not too much snow here, though nearer to Buffalo the lake effect snow dumped nearly five feet in some locations. Bramble Blooms is looking great the way you have the elements laid out now. I love the variety of ideas in everyone's project. The addition of a word or phrase is a great idea. I was thinking of trying that in one of this series, though I've never tried cutting or appliqueing letters before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I love seeing the moose - but my gosh -54 is too much. I can see having two wood stoves in that kind of weather - do you have a big home to heat and do you have another heat source? You have many projects going and I'm glad you are starting to get more sunlight. I told my husband you temperature reading and he wondered where in Alaska and I had forgotten - not the coast line I'm pretty sure you are in the middle of the state about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some lovely projects in progress. I made a small Bouquet quilt several years ago. It was a fun project. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Your temp makes me feel a little warmer down here by Big Lake at -40. Moose are so amazing, to keep up their strength to move around and forage for their twigs to sustain. Your nine patch mini looks like it’s going to be bright and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The moose are so cool, but don't they know it's too cold to be out and about?? I love your Bramble Blooms borders and the addition of a word is a unique touch. I saw the 9-parch challenge and have kinda joined, but not officially. I, too, am making 3 inch finished blocks and wondered if that was too big to count! Your other projects are also beautiful and definitely enough to keep your mind off the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the Bramble Blooms project. I love the addition of the yellow/gold triangles and red petals. Sorry you had to un-stitch them though. I like what you are working on for your sister. IMHO that grey is pretty dark for sashing. It might steal the show, you know? Anywho! Just thinking out loud. I love seeing the moose pictures. They look good and not too skinny yet. I bet you have plenty of quilts on your bed. Brrr! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The octopus quilt is fabulous! That fabric is very cool. Hexies in all those pretty fabrics will be beautiful. Isn't the quilt pattern pretty?? You have the most amazing visitors at your wintry place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some lovely projects going on. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete