Thursday, December 9, 2021

Let's Try This Again

 Hello! I am going to try blogging again. I had been hoping our internet would have improved by now. They keep promising they are going to upgrade, but they haven't, at least not in our area. Still just a bit faster than dial up. I have continued to be busy stitching.  We have a new granddaughter and a new great-grandson, whom of course I made quilts for. I will post those next time. Lots to catch up on! Winter came early, out first snowfall was September 20, we  received 3-4". The next day we got 7" more. The weather man kept saying it was going to warm up. We were hoping it would and the snow would melt, but it didn't.

It appears the Blogger program is different, I hope I can figure it out okay.


My latest project was three I Spy quilts for three of my great-grandchildren for Christmas. I just need to get them mailed off to Minnesota.

The two larger ones finished at 48 1/2" X 66" and the smaller one for the baby (1 1/2 year old) finished at 40" X 44".



I am also doing Barbara Brackman's new BOM Ladies' Aid Album. She provides a free block the last Wednesday of each month. You can read more about this BOM on her blog HERE.



And of course it is Christmas time so lots of baking going on!


These are White Fruitcakes. I adapted a recipe from Joy of Cooking. They are more like a pound cake with candied fruit and pecans added. It is not my favorite but my husband loves it. After this photo I soaked them in apple juice (no alcohol here) wrapped them in cloth and then foil and let them set for a while.


Butter Ball cookies, another favorite. I think these go by a lot of names, including Mexican Wedding cookies.


Cinnamon rolls, a family tradition. I make dozens of these to give out. 

I still have fudge and peanut butter fudge to make. I have some other things I would like to do, but not sure I will have time. One, is this lovely Gingerbread Biscotti I saw on Barbara"s Cat Patches blog HERE. I will need to order some crystallized ginger first


And of course we have had moose in the yard.


That is all for now, but hope to post again soon. Happy Quilting! Rebecca

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're back and I'm so glad I didn't unfollow on feedly! The quilts for your great-grands are delightful and I'm sure they will be much-loved. Ohhh, those cinnamon rolls look delicious. Will you add frosting or a glaze to them? Handsome moose. I hope you have a great Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice that you're blogging again! And fun seeing that moose, reminding me of when we lived in Alaska nearly 40 years ago. My mom used to make those Mexican wedding cakes, not well loved in our house so I don't make them anymore. Your I-spy quilts will be loved by those great-grands. Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to hear from you!! I am fascinated with your eye spy quilts! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Your Barbara Brackman quilt is turning out so lovely. Lots and lots of applique happening. . .
    I make fruitcake around here just because my husband likes it too. I use a fresh apple cake recipe and add candied fruit, dates, raisins, and nuts. No alcohol around here either but I do add rum extract. I make the little powdered sugar cookies just for me so that works out. Look forward to hearing from you often.

    ReplyDelete