Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Mom's Quilt Top

We had our first real snowfall on Monday, October 2, we got about 4". I would say winter is here for us!

I am going to try to blog again, I keep hoping that they will improve our internet speed. A few years ago they laid a bunch of cables along the roadway right in front of our house, but there has been no improvement. It takes me all day to do a post on our desktop, because it takes so long for things to load. If I post a photo I just get up and go do something else for at least 15 minutes, then it might be up. So today I am trying a Blog app and will see how it goes. One reason I want to start again, is that Audrey at Quilty Folk is going to do a QAL, it sounds so fun and so very generous of her to host it. It would be nice to join others in posting my progress. (Sorry I don’t know how to do a link yet)

When my mother passed away in February of 2012, I inherited some of her sewing items. One item was an applique project she had started for my sister back in the 1960's. My sister had taken it home with her when my mother went into a nursing home and a few years ago she mailed the quilt top to  me. The original project was for my sister's twin beds, when she was going to high school. My Mom hadn't finished it when my sister  had graduated from college and moved on to a job in California. Then my Mom sewed the two halves of the top together to make a quilt big enough for my sister's new bed.

Now what do I do with it? I am thinking of separating the two halves and make them into two twin  size quilts for my youngest son's two daughters. They are now ages 2 and 6. The problem there is I don’t know how washable they will be, might not be suited for young children.







 Pattern, templates and etc my Mom used.


Extra fabric, I could make more blocks and enlarge the top.


Batting included!

 Well, we will see how this post turns out!
Happy Quilting, Rebecca 












5 comments:

  1. The applique blocks your mother started are very pretty. I would suggest making 2 twin quilts but saving them for the granddaughters until they're older and more responsible. Not many children have the opportunity of a quilt their great grandmother started. It's good to hear from you again, I hope you can get faster internet service! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see you blogging again! Take heart, you aren't the only one with mediocre internet service, though for us phone service is even worse because cell towers are blocked by the surrounding mountains. That is such a lovely quilt, your granddaughters will be fortunate to inherit them one day. I'm looking forward to Audrey's quilt along too, though my progress may be slower than others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to Blogland, Rebecca. I compress my photos with Words from Microsoft before adding them to my post, otherwise, it takes forever for the photo to upload to Blogger. Let me know if you want to know how I do it.
    The quilt looks marvelous. You are lucky to have the leftover fabrics. I would try to wash a piece of each colour to see if they are bleeders. If the colours stay, they should be good for the girls. Otherwise, use Dawn liquid dish soap to remove all the colour stains. You can give it to the girls when they are a bit older. They will make wonderful heirlooms from their great-grandma and grandma. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely quilt. And it looks like it was a lot of work. I am anxious to see what Audrey comes up with. She never disappoints. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to see you blogging again. Snow in October is amazing--or at least it would be for Ohio. Probably common for you in Alaska, though.
    What a beautiful quilt. I love that you have more fabric and the templates.
    Will you use the Mountain Mist? I recently finished a quilt with a MM cotton bat. It was easy to quilt through and no bearding after a wash and dry. The quilt ended up thicker than with any other batting. I made a note of shrinkage but can't remember now.

    ReplyDelete