Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Current Projects

I have some new projects planned for this new year, but I have some current projects I need to finish up first.
We bought a king size bed a few years back and I made a new quilt for it.  This was a Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorial called Four Patch Stars, here is a  LINK to the pattern.                                        


King sized bed quilt made in 2016


We also continued to use the two queen size quilts I had made for our old bed, but they are just not working out. So plans for another king size quilt developed. I have been collecting flannel shirts along with  cotton shirts to use in my quilting. I was picky about the flannel ones, no pilling and a nice medium weight. I decided to go simple and used the flannel shirts and this free pattern. Here is a LINK. Since I am making it king sized it took a little more than a weekend.

I will quilt mine, not tie it.


It definitely has that humble-down-home-dorky-hand-made look, but my DH loves it. I still need to add the outer borders of red flannel. I ordered that and some wide flannel for the backing.  I hoping to have this one ready to quilt soon.





I also have a new great-grandbaby due in March. I asked my granddaughter about colors and themes. She requested an outdoor/wildlife theme and to include camo. This is the camo she wants. It took me a while but I finally found some at the Spoonflower website. Here is a LINK. (It is a interesting site, you can design and print your own fabric.) There was a large and a small pattern design, I got some of both. I not sure how it will work into the top of the quilt so I got enough to use it for the backing.

Interesting camo design!
Small pattern design
Large pattern design

I also ordered this wildlife fabric. It has everything she requested, deer, bears and etc. I will fussy cut this .




I found this quilt  online and I am going to use this pattern. HERE is the blog where I saw this quilt, it was on Kelly's My Quilt Infatuation blog. She kindly let me share her photo. She made it from a Moda Bake Shop pattern called Four Squared, HERE is a link.




I gathered up some browns and greens, but I am waiting to start cutting until the camo fabric gets here and I can decide if I want to use any in the top. 







So while I am waiting on fabric I thought I would make a second baby quilt. This one will be out of blue plaids. I saw this photo and plan to make this design. I am sorry but I do not remember where I saw it. Simple four-patches and squares.


I have everything cut and ready to sew this one up. 


So I have plenty to keep me busy! Hope to show some of the new projects I have planned for 2018 in my next post.
We have some cold weather headed our way. It is coming in from Siberia. They are predicting some -30 temps.


Happy quilting, Rebecca

4 comments:

  1. I first read your posts in feedly and then come over to leave a comment. I have to tell you that the photos in feedly appear nice and large. When I scrolled down far enough to see this quilt I couldn't help but smile. I love plaids and this is a delightful combination of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your king size star quilt is quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some really big projects you have going on! I can see why your hubbie likes the flannel quilt - it just looks so perfect for an Alaskan winter & most men really bond with plaids and checks! Could you share more about the wide flannel backing you chose? I need to decide about wide vs. piecing 45” flannel for the kids big quilt...wide would sure be a big help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new flannel quilt is super fun and looks like it will be perfect for your Alaskan home. You picked the right flannel shirts! Congratulations on your great grand baby. Keeping baby quilts simple is the way to go. Both designs will be fun to make and will be enjoyed by both mommy and baby.

    ReplyDelete