Saturday, February 29, 2020

Celebrating Mary Brown & Casandra's Circle


Time again to share our progress on Celebrating Mary Brown. I didn't think I would get this months  blocks finished, but I did. I will link up with the other quilters as soon as I can.

Mary Brown Block #3.

Mary Brown Block #12.


All my blocks together.   It's a start!




Cassandra's Circle center block. This is a LARGE block it will finish at 36" X 36". I found it difficult appliqueing such a large piece. Some other quilters have downsized the blocks, You can read more about this sew along on Barbara Brackman's blog Civil War Quilts HERE and HERE.

I am not 100% happy with this block. I feel like it is missing something. I have been thinking I should have used larger prints in it?  I don't know. I am going to wait until I have more of the surrounding blocks done and see how it looks before I change anything.

Washington Plume block. Finished size 36"X 36"


I am working on prepping the second block.
 Mulberry Wreath. 18" X 18"



RSC20 blocks for January and February. I am doing Bonnie Hunter's Leader/Ender Shoo Fly blocks for these. You can get the directions HERE. I am doing the 6" version.


January's green

February's orange



And of course no post is complete without a moose photo!

In this first one she had  pawed at the snow until she uncovered the grass beneath to eat.



 Later she moved on. It looks like she saw her shadow on the building and was looking at it. I wonder what that means for our winter? Six more weeks?



Happy Quilting! Rebecca


6 comments:

  1. love seeing the moose - you still have a lot of snow on the ground! Love all your blocks you do such pretty applique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Mary Brown blocks. I would love to see a moose. They have them in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan but I haven't seen them. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your blocks look so pretty all together! I bet Cassandra's Circle was a challenge to applique. I don't like blocks bigger than about 15" to try and applique on. I love the grouping of green blocks - kind of a lime jello look (which is good in by book).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bird wing fabrics are an excelent choice. I like seeing all your Mary Brown blocks in the picture. It gives such a sense of accomplishment.
    Know what you mean about stitching on a large block. I printed out the pattern this past week but have not given thought to what fabrics to use. I think your block looks good with those that you used. I think you will be happier looking at it after some of the smaller blocks are surrounding it.
    Does the moose ever do damage to your house? I would be afraid that it would start ramming into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You continue to do beautiful applique work. Your blocks are lovely and itt especially look great to see the blocks together.. I guess in the lower 48 we look to a woodchuck for weather predictions, but in Alaska the moose and its shadow seems more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blocks are gorgeous! I am sorely tempted by Cassandra’s Circle. Your plume block is wonderful. Don’t think that I would change a thing. Good progress on your shoofly blocks. You’ve been busy, too.

    ReplyDelete