Thursday, January 30, 2020

Mary Brown Progress

First up I need to apologize to all the other Mary Brown stitchers. I did not get a post up for December. I had no progress to show! There were several reasons that I will not bore you with, but I do want to share one. A product was recommended to me and it really sounded like it would work and help speed up my applique process. Wash-Away Applique Sheets by C&T Publishing. I found it too difficult to turn under my edges and get them smooth, also not pleasant  to stitch through. I had prepped all my leaves using this product hoping I would get used to it, I didn't and I had to redo all my leaves.
Links to the other Mary Brown stitchers.

Karen HERE
Jennie HERE
Robin HERE
Nanette HERE






Blocks 1, 2, 10, & 11




I have my next two blocks prepped and hope to have them finished in time for our next link up.


Block 3



Block 12, I know it looks like a glob of fabric , but I do have the design marked.



I finished all nine blocks for Barbara Brackman's Hospital Sketches sew along. I need to decide what I am going to do for the borders and if I will use sashing.  I plan on joining in on her new sew along called Cassandra's Circle, the first block is out, you can read about HERE.






I did finish all this stockings in plenty of time to deliver them before Christmas.

I got all the stockings finished in time.



I can't forget about our moose friends! We saw this one we were out for a drive.





We have been having some cold weather for the last month or more. I think we may of had two or three days that got above zero since December 19, 2019.  We have probably been averaging -20*. After a couple of mild winters it seems we are back to normal.  My husband saw this poem on Facebook and I thought it was appropriate.





Happy Stitching, Rebecca

6 comments:

  1. Rebecca I have tried that product too and decided I didn't like it. It wasn't too bad for applique for me as I made sure I cut the paper smaller than the piece I was appliqueing so I could turn my edges under for needle turn but what really turned me away from it was that I am a hand quilting I had to go through some pieces for the design it was horrible and I had been told you could hand stitch through it easily - no you can't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and love your quilt and the moose - -20 is so cold one time when we lived in Idaho it was -5 to -0 for a month - I remember it to this day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great fabrics. I love how your Mary Brown blocks are coming along. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Mary Brown blocks are so lovely. I especially like the fabric you chose for the bird's wing. It really stands out. Looks like you are well on your way with the next two blocks. I'm kind of glad it's cold in Alaska, maybe the Polar Bears will have an easier time of it this year. I guess it all depends on when things melt. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the poem! And I have to say, I'm glad I'm not where you are! You have a special endurance. Love what you've been working on. Sorry you had to start over with many of the Applique pieces., but now you're moving forward. The fabrics you chose for Hospital Sketches is bight and cheery. I like how the blocks turned out. I always enjoy seeing your moose photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bird wing fabric you used. I like to see what fabrics each of us use in the Mary Brown blocks but especially the bird block.

    ReplyDelete