Friday, August 3, 2018

My Sister's Doll

Photo of my sister and her doll.


The story of my sister's doll began 68 years ago. My mother started working on it before she was a year old. My Mother and sister were staying with our maternal grandparents in Arizona while our father was serving in  the Korean War. Money and materials were both in short supply so it took some time for her to finish it. Our Grandfather was working as a mechanic at a cotton mill and would bring home bits of cotton for her to use as stuffing.
After all these years the poor little thing was in pretty bad shape. My sister asked me if I could repair her hair and shoes, and make a new pair of socks for her. I was honored to help my sister with this project. 
I found a photocopy of the original pattern and ordered it. I hoped it would have instructions for doing the doll's hair and possibly a pattern for the socks. The pattern really was a help for the hair, but when I knit the a sock according to their instructions it did not fit, so made up my own pattern.
My sister has was really happy with the results! This doll will be passed down to my oldest daughter and will be in the family for many years to come.



Photo of the original pattern


Before photos













After photos.













Here she is, already to go home!














Happy Quilting, Rebecca

5 comments:

  1. WOW!! That is truly amazing. She looks darn good for a 68 years old girl. You did an awesome job restoring her. Congrats! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet and endearing post...so much love is in this wonderful doll. Love the braids and this socks and shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely sweet story. Its amazing that you found the pattern and to have the photo of your sister and the doll is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You did a fabulous job with the hair, Rebecca! It looks wonderful. And I'm amazed at the socks. You are so talented! Your sister's doll looks well-loved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a wonderful job restoring the doll! I'm so glad she will be loved in your family for a long time.

    ReplyDelete