Friday, October 25, 2019

Quilting Inventory




I sat down the other day, in a good thinking spot and had a good "Think, think, think" as  Winnie the Pooh says. I took stock of all my quilting projects. I know most quilters do this at the beginning of the year, but with Winter setting in here, it is a good time for me to organize projects to work on through the winter months.  I had to make some tough decisions about some projects, some didn't make the cut, I  had to face the fact that I just was not going to complete them.  I think I have a workable plan now,  I have decided to make a few more blocks for some of the projects and call it good. Every quilt does not have to a bed sized quilt!!


The first example of that plan is my Spencer Museum quilt. This was a SAL with Lori at Humble Quilts. You can see her top HERE. My apologies to the other quilters who participated, I seem to have lost track. I had considered making at least two more blocks for this quilt. I got the sashing and borders on and I am calling it good.



This one will go in the hand quilting queue.



I joined along with Angela's RSC2019 Sampler SAL. Here is a LINK to the information about this sampler SAL. I have completed the blocks up to purple and I am stopping there, I just need to sew the rest of them into their settings and sew the blocks together. I made two of each block.






The other projects that I hope finish up include:


Goose in the Pond

Maybe just a wide sashing for these and a wide border.


String Baskets

Maybe a few more blocks with some setting squares.


Scrap Vortex

Add a little more to this top and then a border.

Dresden Flowers

All of these are appliqued except the purple and brown blocks. I may not include the brown one, but will definitely make a few more, a yellow and red for sure.

If I can finish these up over the Winter and continue to work on my current projects I will feel that I am making some progress. I still have some long term projects, but they have been put aside until I clear up some of these other projects.



I am making progress on Hospital Sketches. Only two more blocks to do on this one and then I need to think about borders.





All seven blocks together.




And I have added a new project to the queue, Celebrating Mary Brown. This is another SAL. I will be joining Karen of Log Cabin Quilter blog,  HERE,     Cathy of Big Lake Quilter blog, HERE,     Nan of Chopin - A Passionate Quilter blog, HERE,     Jennie of Over the Hill and Running blog,  HERE,      Robin of  I Like to Create blog, HERE,     Julie of JulieKQuilts blog ( she is doing a different pattern) HERE.   I just got my pattern in so I am already behind, but hope start on the first blocks next week. I plan to use fabrics from my Civil War stash.




My background fabric.



Sorry for the long post, but hopefully this will help me keep on track. Happy Quilting, Rebecca

8 comments:

  1. I love your Alaskan header on your blog! I am like you currently thinking finally that not every quilt has to be bed size. And I too am going through list of quilts thinking what needs to be finished and I will try to finish some this winter too even though our winter is short compared to yours we are in the cooler stage of fall right now with hopefully warmer days to come now and then before winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have come to the same conclusion--every quilt doesn't have to be bed size--and I have finished making big quilts. (Though I hate to say "never" as you know how that goes!!)
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've done very well on Angela's Tiny Tuesday. Your blocks are lovely. I love Goose in the Pond. It has the Country Charm that I adore. The Dresden Flowers are gorgeous and I would include brown in the quilt. It looks like my Black Eye Susan plant right now. It's Fall after all! The Hospital's Sketches blocks are amazing. WOW! Great job! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some beautiful quilts to work on, Rebecca. I especially like your string baskets on the red backgrounds. They will make such a fun quilt. I keep telling myself that quilts can be small, but then I wonder what on earth I would do with them since I don't hang them in our home or use them on tables or stands. Baby quilt gifts, maybe?
    In a previous post about winter, your snow scenes are beautiful. Do you put chains on your tires or use snow treads? Do streets get plowed, or iced, or do you mash the snow down with tires going over it? Here our streets usually get iced and plowed but sometimes, if the plows can't get to the side streets, we just drive on the snow and it flattens down. I don't know why but I like driving that way best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like where you're heading with all these projects. Enjoying the journey doesn't mean it has to be a long never ending journey. Enjoy your new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have lots of company on this - how do we get to the point where we stare at so many projects and need to just stop at think - Love your Winnie the Pooh image! I remember when you started the Dresden Flower project in particular - so charming and wonderful colors - so glad it made the cut!!:-) And those Hospital Sketches blocks are stunning - you do such beautiful applique. Betting you will have inspired many of us to take a reorganizing stand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you that not every quilt needs to be bed size. I gave up on that when I started giving away bed size quilts because of storage space. Sometimes I miss them but I know someone else is enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to get my brain where you are going. So many things that need/deserve finishing....and some, not so much. I adore your Dresden flowers and Hospital Sketches. Great fabric choices. Looking forward to seeing what you do with MAry Brown. We are still having some warm Fall days here in GA., but Fall has definitely become shorter here, and I miss my favorite season. Happy stitching!!

    ReplyDelete