Sunday, February 18, 2018

In the Hoop!


In July of 2015 I joined an online sew along with several other quilters. We made the Cranberry Album quilt from Jeana Kimball's  Old Voices, New Impressions book. I finished sewing the blocks in December of that year. It took me a while to find that "just right" sashing and border fabric, but finally got the top sewn together in April or May of 2016.

Below is my finished top. I do plan on a scalloped edge for the final border.





I actually entered it in our quilt show at the local fair. I got a first place ribbon. (Yes, they let you enter tops, unheard of I know!)




Well, it is finally in the hoop for hand quilting. This will take some time, but I am not in a hurry. I am thoroughly enjoying the process! I am quilting around the block and then around the applique pieces. I looked at photos of antique quilts and crosshatching in the background area seemed common and since I want an old fashioned feel to this quilt decided to do that in the background. I am not sure what design I will use in the sashing, but need to decide soon as I want to quilt in that area as I move along with the blocks. Any suggestions would be welcome!


First two blocks done.






Working on the third block.





Here our some of the other ladies that participated in the sew along. You can see Cathy's, of Big Lake Quilter blog, finished top HERE,  Karen's, of Log Cabin Quilter blog, finished top HERE,  Nancy's, of Tattered Garden Quilting, finished top HERE  and Sharon's of Grass Roots Quilting HERE.  My apologies if I missed anyone.


I am linking up with Kathy for  Slow Stitching Sunday. Happy Quilting! Rebecca

8 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt project and how nice to have won a blue ribbon for the top alone. I think a scalloped border is going to be perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your quilt turned out. Your quilting is great. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you love the way the quilting stitches bring a quilt to life. Maybe a cable in the sashing? I sometimes carry the crosshatching thru the sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be thoroughly enjoying the quilting phase - the crosshatching in the blocks is perfect and looks wonderful. I second the idea of a cable design in the sashing. And your plans for a scalloped border will be so lovely. Have fun with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt - many congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt to be working on. The quilting is perfect for a vintage look and Your applique is lovely. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my, what fine work you do! Your applique is beautiful and I think the sashing and border fabric are perfect for this quilt. Congratulations on the blue ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on a Blue Ribbon. This is a wonderful quilt and I like the quilting design you are hand stitching. Such tiny stitches.

    ReplyDelete