Saturday, January 13, 2018

Pineapple Craziness


Who knew you could learn so much from one quilt block! Let me explain. Bonnie Hunter's Pineapple Crazy quilt has been on my list for a long time. It is from her String Fling book.

Pineapple Crazy by Bonnie Hunter






I even picked up this little sewing machine at our local thrift store a while back with this quilt in mind. I can leave it set up just for paper piecing.

My $10 sewing machine, it just needed a light bulb.



I finally sat down the other evening a started on my first block.

I had to rip out one corner where there were suppose to be dark pieces.



Important to remember! One corner has dark/medium pieces. I was following along with my paper piece, but it is not correct. I went back and marked my other papers with a marker so I don't make that mistake again (fingers crossed).






Ta Da! First complete Pineapple Crazy block!! I did have fun sewing this block! The finished block measures 5 1/2" X 5 1/2".  There are 224 pineapple blocks in the quilt, so only 223 more to go! I might make a smaller version, we will see!



Lessons learned from this block:

1) Sort my scraps into to two containers, one for lights and for one darks and mediums. Too much hassle digging through to find something. Also, I don't have to have all my scraps out, just a few are needed. It looked like a fabric volcano went off when I was done.

2) Pre-cut my fabric pieces into smaller pieces before adding to scrap container I am using for this project. They are pretty small already, but cutting off a piece to use, just makes sewing this block take a lot longer.

3) Get my crumb container out, there are a lot of tiny pieces in this block

4) Set up an iron right next to where I am sewing.

5) Don't be so picky about each piece I use!!

6) I need an open toe foot for this machine so I can see the stitching line. (found on Ebay and ordered)


So after all that look what I found online! A very helpful page by Jo's Country Junction! Here is a LINK.. She has lots of great tips for sewing these blocks. I am definitely going to try her tracing paper suggestion.




Happy Quilting, Rebecca





4 comments:

  1. What a lot of pieces each block has! I think craziness in the title is appropriate! Of course, it will be beautiful. Will you try to make one block/day or as many as you can?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an incredible pineapple quilt...and each block at 5 1/2” - tiny pieces! Not exactly what you could call a stash buster with the scale you are working at...just lots and lots of scraps! It will be fabulous when you are done and that border is icing on the cake. Makes sense to have a machine designated for just that purpose. I might have to set up my Featherweight to finish a paper pieced tiny houses UFO...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making a practice block was as great idea. Sounds like you've worked out a lot of the bugs and come up with some time saving ideas. I can't believe how many pieces there are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sewing machine was a real find!!! and the pineapple block looks great. That quilt would be a real challenge for me, aka= short attention span quilter. You go girl! cheers!

    ReplyDelete